Hello everyone! As part of the Nigerian snacks recipe series, today I will be sharing with you my recipe for minced meat puff puff. I started this snacks episode by sharing recipes for; chin chin, doughnut, plantain puff puff, and meatpie.
As a Nigerian, I’m sure you already know and enjoy puff puff. If however you’re not from Nigeria or have never heard of this snack, let me explain to you. Puff puff is a soft, spongy and sweet snack prepared by mixing flour, yeast, and sugar into a batter and then deep frying. For this recipe, I dipped fried meat balls in the puff puff batter before deep frying.
If you love puff puff, like me, this is another yummy recipe to enjoy your favorite snack.
Ingredients for minced meat puff puff
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups warm water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ tbsp. yeast
- ½ ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil (for frying)
For minced meat
- 1 Kilo minced meat
- Medium sized onion
- 1 red bell pepper (tatashe)
- 4 scotch bonnet (atarado)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tspn each of curry, thyme, and garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ bread crumbs
- 1 seasoning cube (knorr)
- ½ tsp salt
Steps for minced meat puff puff
1.Mix the yeast with warm water, and set aside for about five minutes.
2. Combine all dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Pour, and fold dry ingredients into the yeast mixture. Cover the batter and set aside to rise for about 1 – 2 hours.
3. Blend together the bell pepper, tomatoes and scotch bonnet. Boil for about 5 minutes to form a thick paste.
4. Mix together the eggs, blended tomato paste, and all the spices. Add bread crumbs (I used fresh homemade breadcrumbs).
5. Scoop the meat mixture with a tbspn (tablespoon) and roll with your hand to form a ball shape. Fry in cooking oil on medium heat till it turns golden brown.
6. Check the batter after about 2 hours; it should double in size (this is because of the yeast).
7. Drop fried minced meat into batter, wrap meat with the dough and fry in cooking oil till it turns golden brown.
1.For the dough to rise faster, put on the oven and turn it off when it gets hot. Allow to cool for a few minutes, cover the dough and place in the oven. It will double in size faster.
2. Make sure the oil is very hot before you start frying, if not, the puff puff will not have that spongy feel.
That’s how easy it is to make this minced meat puff puff. Try making yours, and let me know how it goes. Feel free to also leave me a comment below, share with me any get tip you have. If there’s a particular snack recipe you want me to share also let me know. Kindly subscribe now for free, if you haven’t done so already, and be the first to receive updates from this blog.
In my next post, I’ll share another delicious snack recipe. Till then, have a wonderful week and God bless you!