Hello everyone! Today, let me show you how easy it is to sew with a zipper. I used to totally avoid using zippers because I didn’t know how to, and was scared to get it wrong. If you are in that situation, put those days behind you!
Zippers are fasteners attached to pieces of clothings like skirts, blouses, trousers, and even dresses. There are different types of zipper (will be discussed in another post) for the purpose of this post, I’ll be using a regular 7.5inch zipper. In case your zipper is too long, you can always shorten a zipper.
I’m currently sewing a pencil skirt (will upload tutorial next week) so I decided to first show how the zipper is attached. I’ve added a zipper to my circle skirt in a previous post, but it wasn’t explained in details. So, here is a more detailed tutorial on how to sew zipper to any skirt.
Materials for sewing zippers
- Two pieces of fabric
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Pins, needle and thread
Steps for sewing zipper to a skirt
1.Measure the length of the zipper (mine was 7.5 inches, that’s from the beginning to end of zipper pull, minus the excess fabric on both sides).
2. Join the two pieces of fabric together, with right sides facing, and mark your zipper measurement.
3. Sew the two pieces of fabric together, leave open the 7.5 inches to fit zipper.
4. pin zipper in place.
5. Sew zipper on the skirt, leave about 2 inches away from the zipper pull.
6. Open zipper to make sure it fits properly
7. Tuck the excess fabric of zipper onto the seam allowance of skirt, pull down the zipper away from the machine needle and sew.
8. Iron the skirt, and it is ready to wear.
You can also use this same method to sew zipper to a pencil pouch
or other projects. Next week, I’ll show how I made my pencil skirt. Have a wonderful day, and don’t forget to subscribe now for interesting DIY projects and more. Cheers!