Hello everyone! Today I want to share with you how I made a little girls dress for my daughter, Deborah, from one of my shirts. Schools here in Nigeria are on holiday, time to come up with fun activities for the children. Sewing is one of the skills I want her to learn early and luckily for me, she seems interested, so I decided to use this holiday to get her involved. This week, we made a dress together; actually I did all the work while she watched and got to play around with my machine for a few minutes.
There are so many tutorials online about using men’s shirt to make girls dress. Last year I made her a dress with hubby’s shirt, I made that dress with needle and thread, so don’t worry even if you have no sewing machine (click here for tutorial). This time, I decided to use one of my shirts. This shirt used to be one of my favorites when I was in school, but it doesn’t fit anymore and I haven’t worn it for the past three years, there couldn’t be a perfect shirt. You can also use a shirt that you still wear, no problem.
One of the advantages of making a dress from a shirt; there is less work. With this project; I traced out the style of one of her dresses unto the shirt, then I joined the pieces together in just few steps. So, even if you are a beginner, you can work on this project.
Materials needed to sew a little girls dress
- A shirt
- A girls dress (one that fits perfectly, or slightly bigger)
- Pair of scissors
- Sewing machine (or needle and thread)
Steps for making a little girls dress
1. Trace out the style of dress unto the shirt (I traced out two pieces; the top and bottom)
2. Join the shoulders with a straight stitch
3. Cut out a long strap of bias about an inch, and then place on the raw edge of armhole with both right sides together.
4. Turn to the wrong side of the armhole, tuck in the raw edges and sew in place. After this, join the top piece of dress on both sides.
5. Sew a straight stitch on the top of the second piece. Pull the threads to gather the top together (see how it has started to gather on the right side of the picture below)
6. Gather the bottom piece together to match the top piece.
7. Turn the bottom piece to the wrong side and insert top piece inside. Make sure both right sides are touching, sew to join top and bottom together. Turn dress right side out, and your done!
This dress was so easy to make, I’ll definitely be making more. This is one fun DIY project to get the children engaged, you can also make easy headbands for girls. Other cool projects you can work on with the children are bookmarks and bookcovers .I’ve also shared some tips on keeping the house clean with children
That brings me to the end of this short tutorial. Hope this was helpful? Feel free to leave me a comment below, share your opinions with me and let me know what you think. When you make your dress, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @diary_a_nigerian_housewife.
Have a wonderful week, God bless you!