Hello everyone! Today, I want to share with you how I made this cute purse. Since this is the last weekend before school resumes, I decided to work on another back to school project. In the past, I’ve made children’s pencil pouch, personalized name stickers, Ankara pencil case, bookmarks, and book covers. So, this time I decided to work on a back to school project for myself.
Towards the end of last term, I concluded that I needed a purse for my school runs. This is because I always have a lot of things to hold; phone, keys, money, and so on. Most times, I don’t want to carry a big bag, I just want something small that can perfectly fit in all these little items. Now, this is the kind of purse you can easily get as souvenir in our Nigerian weddings but since I haven’t attended any recently and I don’t want to buy, I decided to make one for myself.
If you’re a mum like me that always has little items to hold, or you’re a lady who needs a handy purse, this tutorial is for you. Even if you don’t need it, you can make one and give to a loved one. This tutorial is unbelievably easy and takes very little time. All you basically need is fabric and zipper. I chose to use faux leather, just because I like this colour and didn’t want to add lining to the purse. If you want to use a fabric that’s very light, like Ankara, you may need to add interfacing (like with this pencil case), So, choose your fabric, get your zipper, and let’s begin.
Materials needed for purse making
- Fabric (I used faux leather)
- Measuring tape
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine (or needle and thread)
Steps for purse making
1. Cut out your fabric 12.5 inches, width by 9 inches, height (the size of the purse, after sewing, will be about 8 inches by 5 inches). Get a 9 inch zipper
2. Fold one edge of the fabric about 0.5 inch, place on one side of the zipper and sew in place. Repeat same step on the other edge of fabric, till you have sewn the zipper in place. (To be clear, it’s the 9 inch edge of fabric that should be sewn to zipper, not the 12.5 inch edge).
3. Turn fabric inside out, open zipper halfway, and sew both sides of the purse (if you don’t open zipper, you won’t be able to turn the purse right side out)
4. Open the corner to form a triangle, now mark 1 inch and draw a line. Cut off fabric on that line and sew with a straight stitch (if you want a flat purse, you can skip this step).
5. Turn your purse inside out. The size of purse should be about 8 inches by 5 inches, and the corners should about 3 inches
You are now done; I told you it was very easy! This purse turned out perfected, and I absolutely love it. Hope the steps shared for making this purse was clear enough to follow? What fabric did you choose to use? Did you encounter any difficulty? Feel free to leave me a comment below. If you have any corrections or suggestions, I’m happy to learn from you, so go on and leave that comment. Follow me also on Instagram and Facebook, then tag me in your photos.
Have a wonderful week, till I come your way again with another amazing tutorial. Happy school resumption week! God bless you!