Hello everyone! Today, I want to share with you my recipe for Nigerian Meatpie. This month, I’ve decided to start a series on Nigerian snacks recipes. There are some snacks recipe already on this blog, so to make things easier I’ll begin counting from those previous posts (chin chin, doughnuts, and plantain puff puff) this Meatpie Recipe is now episode 4 of the Nigerian Snacks recipe series.
Meatpie is a popular snack in Nigeria filled with vegatables and meat, most of us love and eat it often. However, not everyone knows how to make delicious Meatpie. This is a simple recipe for creamy and yummy Meatpie. All you need is to get ready your ingredients, prepare your filling and dough, bake and enjoy!
Ingredients for Nigerian Meatpie
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 grams margarine
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ kilo meat
- 2 – 3 potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- Medium sized onion
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ tspn curry, thyme, garlic powder
- Seasoning cubes, and salt to taste
*You’ll also need a meatpie maker, and a rolling pin*
*tbsp is tablespoon, tsp is teaspoon*
Steps for making Nigerian Meatpie
1. Dice carrots, potatoes, and onions, then set aside.
2. Boil potatoes in water, till it’s half way cooked.
3. Sauté onions in cooking oil for about 2 minutes, then add minced meat. Add all the spices and cover to boil for about 20 minutes (add a little water if necessary)
4. Add half boiled potatoes, and carrots (use fresh carrots if that’s what you have). Cover and allow to boil another 10 minutes.
5. Mix flour in water, and add to the mixture. Taste for salt, cover to boil for 5 minutes. When potatoes are soft and meat is well cooked, turn off the heat and allow to cool off. (Now preheat oven at 170°C (335°F) before you continue)
6. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Add the butter and continue to mix
7. Break in one egg, now mix with hand or spatula.
8. Pour in milk, little at a time to make sure the dough doesn’t become too watery. Cover dough with cling film and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
9. Sprinkle some flour on the Meatpie maker. Then roll the dough flat with a rolling pin
10. Place dough in the Meatpie maker, add about 2 tablespoons of filling. Close and then open the maker to create Meatpie shape.
Place Meatpie on a baking tray, grease surface with egg to give it extra shine (like with the bread rolls) and bake in preheated oven for about 30 – 40 minutes.
This Meatpie Recipe is so delicious, easy to make even if you’re not a professional caterer. I’m sure after trying it you’ll never want to buy Meatpie, ever again! Kindly leave me a comment below, share your thoughts with me and also let me know if you make yours in a different way. I’m happy to read and learn from you. Also, don’t forget to subscribe now to this blog, for free, if you haven’t done so already.
Remember to buy my breakfast recipe e-book to enjoy easy to make and tasty breakfast recipes.
In my next post, I’ll be back with another delicious snacks recipe, stay tuned!
Have a wonderful week, God bless you!